Tuesday, June 14, 2016

On Writing and Suicide

Dear you,

I was just reading an article on the relation between writers and suicide. It said that writers are often tempted with the idea of suicide because it makes them feel in control over their life story. It kind of struck me as paradoxical, how writers write stories on the life of people who do not exist, yet they are the same people who want to end their own life stories.

But here's why I write. Writing, if anything, brings some peace of mind. Sometimes it soothes an uncontrollable and unhealed pain inside us writers. Other times it makes us understand our train of thoughts, as the quote said:
"I do not understand what I say until I read what I write."

Writing is magic and the opposite of magic. Perhaps we can call it hell, even if this is not the exact opposite of magic. Maybe because when words do not come out, it's like the writer is placed in solitary confinement and is on the verge of losing it all.
Still, I cannot fully grasp the idea of why many writers commit suicide. Do we live in our imagination too much that reality becomes the nightmare and the dream that does not come true? Or is it the opposite?

I hope that, wherever you are, whoever you are, you do not stop writing, even if it drives you insane.

Yours faithfully and sincerely,
N.

No comments:

Post a Comment