Thursday, May 5, 2016

Where Did He Come from?

Dear you,

I woke up in the early morning today, waiting for him to text. I knew he would. I do not know why, but I just did. And he did. 
"Buenos Diaz!" He said, and it was the most beautiful, heartwarming good morning I ever heard someone say. 
"It's días, good morning!" I corrected him jokingly.
I pictured him while he said it, with his round face and funky glasses. He had greyish eyes that seemed to be changing colours depending on what he wore. He would smile all the time, to me, to friends passing us by, to strangers. "Everyone deserves to receive one warm genuine smile once in a day at least." That was his way of living, his motto.
"What about you? Do you ever receive any?" I asked, while looking at his sealed lips.
"I feel even more happier when I do not think I have to have something in return, too." He said it without a single pause nor hesitation.
It was this beautiful soul that was the hope I had in life, after losing what I never imagined I could live without. 
And, for a change, it felt different to have someone care that much about me, for the first time in so long. He kept our conversations up and alive during his nightshifts and his 24-hour shifts. He said he loved medicine but it was writing and literature he had passion for. He loved Kanafani and spoke to me about how much of a genius he was. 
"Are you kidding me? Kanafani is like my undying crazy love story!" These were my words when he first told me. But he also said he loved Shakespeare and was impressed by how he created expressions in the language that we still use to this day, and he told me about his new book. He was a mesmerizing writer, a writer who knew where life was leading him. I was drawn by curiosity to find out more about that mysterious creature that reminded me of myself. He spoke to me of literature like no one else does, and our conversations were going without an end. Of course, does literature ever have an ending?
He seemed to be a replica of my own being, and that was scary. I am not sure I am up to finding myself wholly in someone else, but I am sure this is going to be one hell of a journey.

And it surely is.

Yours faithfully and sincerely,
N.

No comments:

Post a Comment